Monterey. 8 Jun 2013 until 9 Jun 2013, All Day
Organization: Monterey Bay Aquarium
Celebrate the oceans and all they provide during a World Oceans Day weekend at the Monterey Bay Aquarium on Saturday and Sunday, June 8 and 9. The theme this year is “Together We Have the Power to Protect the Ocean,” based on characters from a Dr. Seuss book. Special activities including live music, a family craft room, sustainable seafood samplings and much more are on the agenda – all included with aquarium admission. Click on the event title for full details.
The sixth annual celebration coincides with the international observance of the oceans – the largest habitat for life on Earth. The weekend will be dedicated to honoring ocean ecosystems, as well as learning about land-to-sea connections and about the role people play in assuring the health of the world’s oceans for future generations.
Visitors will be encouraged to explore their personal connection to the oceans, learn more about the global importance of clean water, and discover how lakes, rivers and oceans are all connected.
Highlights of the “World Oceans Day Celebration” include:
- Performances by steel drum musician Derek Smith, who will fill the air with soothing Caribbean sounds from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. in the Main Entrance on both days.
- Special presentation by Bryant Austin, the only photographer in the world producing high-resolution, life-size photography of whales, at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. in Auditorium on both days. Book signings will follow each of Austin’s presentations.
- Meet aquarium divers and check out the special gear they need to dive with sharks, at 12 and 4:30 p.m. on the first floor of the Kelp Forest exhibit on both days.
Watch a diver feed bay rays, leopard and sevengill sharks in the Monterey Bay Habitats exhibit at 12 p.m on both days.
- ZunZun will entertain the whole family with interactive musical performances at 12:30 and 2:30 p.m., on the Great Tide Pool Deck on both days.
- Get creative with family friendly crafts on both days from 1 to 4 p.m. in the Craft Room.
- Visitors can sample seafood that’s healthy for the oceans and for the family during a “Green Cuisine” sustainable seafood cooking demonstration and tasting with the aquarium’s chef Jeff Rogers at 1:45 p.m. both days, on the Great Tide Pool Deck.
- Enjoy the theatrical talents of aquarium staff during an interactive family program highlighting the event theme of “together we can protect the oceans” during “Chief of the Reef,” at 2:30 and 4 p.m. in the Craft Room on both days.
- “Ocean Frontiers,” a short video program inspiring people to manage and conserve our ocean, at 4 and 4:30 p.m. in the Auditorium on both days.
- Informational booths featuring many ocean conservation organizations on both days.
All exhibits and programs are included with aquarium admission: $34.95 adult; $31.95 senior (over 65) and student (full-time college, with I.D.); $21.95 children and the disabled; under 3 free.
For more information about the aquarium and to purchase tickets online visit www.montereybayaquarium.org.
The mission of the Monterey Bay Aquarium is to inspire conservation of the oceans.